Monday, October 1, 2007

"male!!!"




a little over a week ago i received a few unexpected gifts from a grade 6 student. yes, i teach in korea as well. sometimes.

during art class, the students were to make little plasticine korean masks and then glue them on to a piece of construction paper. some of them were amazing but i strayed from the rest and made a little stewie griffin. they don't have family guy on tv here and that's probably for the best since only a small minority would understand the type of humour as well as the cultural references. so yeah, i gave this student, whose english name is austin (it's taken from a bad teen romantic comedy that i can't recall at this point) a little stewie griffin in the form of plasticine. two days later, i was more than surprised to have him give me four different mini gifts. one was a little bun in a plastic package. cool, that's nice of him. second was a short little letter that i'll translate in two seconds. third, a four-page question and answer about himself that i've attached above. and fourth, a pretty decent drawing of stewie and brian the dog.

so if you can't read the letter in the picture, here is an accurate transcript of what austin wrote to me:

From: Austin
To: Teacher Brent

Dear Teacher Brent.
Hello! Teacher Brent ~
I'm Austin., frist of all...
Thank you for your present!
I'm happy when you give it to me.
Um, sooth to say I think you are scar
ed. Because, when we met last week
you was cynical.
So, I think that. But and now.
I don't think so. When art class,
you help our team. that time, you seem
very nice! Sooth to say I'd like to
get with you.
So!!! I show.
about my profile
you.

aww. if that's not the coolest thing ever, i don't know what is. he also showed me that he downloaded an episode of family guy on to his cellphone. that scared me because it's a bit of a risque show compared to what they've got on tv around here, especially for a kid in grade six. did i mention he's the student body president? maybe he's just using me to get ahead but my gut tells me no since he wants to get with me and all.

2 comments:

jk said...

That's awesome!

I hope you did not teach him to write "um"

Anonymous said...

That is so cute!

- Andrea